Thursday 29 July 2010

Finding out about… Tanya Hamilton, the factory supervisor at Celtic Sheepskin


Almost a month on from our last “finding out about”, we have interviewed our marvellous factory supervisor Tanya Hamilton to hear more about what she does. With the new autumn winter collection due to launch any day now, the factory has been busily getting ready all the new and existing styles of boots and slippers, so Tanya gratefully leant us a few spare minutes of her time…

How long have you been working at Celtic Sheepskin?

I joined the company in 2002, when there was only 7 employees!

What do your day-to-day duties mainly consist of?

My main duty is to make sure the factory runs smoothly, but I also cut the boots and slippers, adapt our patterns to suit the fashion of the season, and make sure the sheepskin quality is the highest standard.

What was your original title?

When I first joined the company I started as the posting department, the telephonist and quality checker! I progressively moved into cutting, so I think I know everything there is to know about sheepskin boot making now.

When were you promoted to Factory Supervisor?

As we got bigger and moved to new premises, the warehouse and factory were split into two buildings creating an opening for a supervisor. I grabbed the opportunity with both hands!

If you could have anyone’s job in the company, whose would it be and why?

My first thought is the company pet! He gets to play with scraps of sheepskin and cardboard boxes, and when he’s old enough he’ll go on all the shoots and model when he’s in the right mood!

If I were to give a sensible answer however, I would firstly add how much I love my job now, but as my outside interest is photography I would love to have more to do with developing the catalogue.

If you had just one favourite item in the new winter collection, what would it be? It doesn’t have to be something for you!

Apart from our boots –which I now could never live without- the first thing I am going to treat myself to is the Chunky Cable Waistcoat. It was love at first sight!

What’s kept you in Cornwall all this time?

I spend as much time as I can on the beach so it has to be that and the easy way of life.

If you had only on phrase that you lived by, what would it be?

Laugh, love, live.



No comments:

Post a Comment