Tuesday 31 August 2010

Why shouldn’t we read about ethical clothing?


Did you know that we get more people reading this blog when I talk about styling, dogs or reduced items, than when I write about the ethical side of our clothing? It’s interesting that what’s grabbing the attention of the majority of fashion blog readers is exactly what the big companies such as Primark and Matalan are cashing in on –exciting items that are popular and even better if they are discounted or cheap from day one! I’m not getting at you all; I’m the same. If I’m looking to purchase for myself I will be drawn to pretty colours and fabulous prices. Perhaps the obviously cheap fabrics would put me off, but some are very well disguised. If I think about it, I’d probably be more swayed towards an ethical garment in a shop than on the Internet, as I’d have the opportunity to rub a delicate organic bamboo top against my cheek!

But the World Wide Web is such a rich resource of information, that we should be embracing it as the perfect chance to shop responsibly. Rather than going on aesthetics alone, we now have the opportunity to search for a garment that is perhaps similar to the cheap item you noticed in your supermarket as you ran in for milk, and instead search for the cousin that has had more attention given to it at childhood. You can so easily search for the alternative that has A. been made from a fabric that has harmed the environment as little as possible and B. will last longer than 1 month!

Buying organic clothing is not about whether you wear open toe sandals and live in the middle of nowhere without running water. It doesn’t even have to be about standing up against the evil giants who make ugly, cheap clothing without a care for human, plant or beast. When it comes down to it we all need to wear clothes and by choosing to wear organic clothing, or perhaps just a garment that has been made from natural fabrics rather than man-made synthetic fibres, we are saying to ourselves - and others if you like – that clothes are functional, fashionable and fair. We’ve paid a fair price to the people who have made them, we have been fair to the environment that has given us the clothing and we have made a fair decision to wear these clothes for a good amount of time.

There are a number of companies out there that offer natural and/or organic clothing, and Celtic Sheepskin is proud to be amongst the crowd. Our latest grading for sustainable clothing has come with the standard Zque. A Zque fibre combines natural performance wool with an accreditation program that ensures environmental, social and economic sustainability, animal welfare (non-mulesed) and traceability back to the source. Quite an achievement don’t you think! The Zque standard is applied to some of our fine merino wool pieces and so I will leave you now with images of these items for you to decide just how alluring going green on the internet can be …
Charlotte Cole
31.08.10




1 comment:

  1. That's why I love Celtic so much!!
    I really think we should me more aware of what we are buying
    Francesca from Italy.
    I used some pics from your catalogue (saying they're from you)for a post in my blog some days ago: I hope you don't mind!
    (http://passionedeco-francesca.blogspot.com/2010/08/pre-autumn-winter-collections.html)

    ReplyDelete