Thursday 21 October 2010

It's half term soon and let's get creative with sheepskin!


With half term around the corner, we thought we’d see what crafty things are possible with our scrap bits of sheepskin. Did you know that we sell sheepskin offcuts on our website? No! Then have a look for yourselves – priced only to cover the postage and packaging, it could provide you with something to entertain your children this autumn that their teachers haven’t yet thought of. http://www.celtic-sheepskin.co.uk/home-living/craft-store/

The above image is of a Toscana rug that was made out of off cuts from our Toscana Sheepskin. Quite an amazing talent Lesley has! Now I don’t expect there are many children with such sewing skills, so I’ve run a few experiments at my desk to see what other things you could do with our sheepskin scraps that require less skill, and ultimately are great fun to do.

The first idea I came up with was to make a sheep, and before you say it, no it didn’t take me much time to come up with this plan! This is definitely something you’ll need to do with your child as the skin can be tough to cut and stapling is required. I think they’ll get the most fun out of playing with the scraps as you cut, and the ultimate sheep you make.

So here’s how I did it…

I took a scrap piece of sheepskin...


Then cut it…

Then I trimmed what will become the legs...

Finally I positioned all together (see how simple this is!)

And pulled out my stapler…
Then finally...

And voila!


And yes, I recommend your child draws the face!

Sheepskin is such a great fabric to work with. I think little ones will love simply stroking it. In fact, if you dip their finger in a tiny amount of water, they’ll be able to create pictures as they stroke the suede in a certain direction…

Which leads me onto my next venture. Making a patchwork sheepskin rug (again, adults assistance is required).

Here I first sewed the pieces together, but in fact I think the best option would be to cut out as larger square/rectangle pieces as you can and get your children to draw on them. Then later on, perhaps when they’re in bed, you could sew these together to create a rug for them, or even their favourite pet!



Which takes me onto my final craft, and perhaps the most fun task I’ve ever done at work. Making a picture with sheepskin!





Then you have a finished picture!


So there’s now nothing stopping you and your children from getting really creative this half term. Enjoy! And of course, if you want to take photos of your sheepskin creations, we'd love to see them and post them onto Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment