Thursday 9 February 2012

Love is in the (Cornish) air!

This weekend, restaurants around the country will be full of amorous couples eating dinner by candlelight and staring lovingly into each other’s eyes in celebration of St. Valentine’s Day which falls on Tuesday next week. With the plethora of topical emails that have been landing in my inbox over the past couple of weeks and signs in local restaurants and shop windows, it would be quite hard to forget (although tell that to the men!).

After getting engaged recently it would be fair to say that I feel fairly ‘loved-up’ but the thought of celebrating St Valentine’s Day eating a themed dinner in a crowded restaurant doesn’t appeal to me quite as much as enjoying a quiet, lovingly-cooked (hopefully by him!) meal at home. I imagine that I’m probably not alone, judging by the ‘anti-Valentine’s’ columns and tweets that I have read recently.

So today, in a twist from the usual Valentines-related articles you might read over the next few days, I thought rather than focussing on the people we love, I would highlight some of the places we adore. As I have mentioned before, living here in Cornwall we are incredibly lucky to have such beautiful places right on our doorsteps. From golden sandy beaches to rugged cliff tops, Cornwall holds a place in many people’s hearts, including mine, for its natural beauty and peaceful surroundings. I know of many people who visit the county during the year in search of solitude and a sense of calm and Cornwall epitomises these traits with bells on.

So take a deep breath, relax and admire some of the places in Cornwall that we love…

This is my local beach so I am perhaps a little biased however I don’t think many could deny its beauty! I love how the beach looks so different depending on the angle from which you see it. It can look rugged and rocky or idyllic and picturesque. At three miles long, Perranporth beach is a wonderful beach to walk along at low tide, wrapped up warm in cosy layers when the wind is howling or barefoot and carefree with the sand between your toes in the summer.

To top it off, there is a pub on the edge of the beach which serves very yummy hot chocolates (or ice cold beer!) to enjoy after a long walk.

Bodmin Moor has been the setting for many Celtic photo shoots in seasons gone by and the scenery truly lends itself to being photographed. I love Bodmin Moor because it has so much character which seems to change from one day to the next. On a wintry day it looks mysterious and windswept yet it is transformed in the sunshine to appear dramatic and breathtakingly colourful, with rolling hills that seem to go on for miles (and indeed they do).

Finally, moving back towards the sea, the Newquay coastline is the closest to us here at Celtic HQ and a clifftop overlooking the sea is one of my favourite places to be. I don’t think you can feel anything but relaxed and calm when looking out to the horizon with the waves crashing beneath you, simply contemplating life. This to me exemplifies untouched, natural beauty. While in the nearby town it is generally bustling with people, it doesn’t take long to be somewhere quiet and peaceful - often I won’t see another person go by for a whole hour! This is my idea of romance; enjoying time and space with only my loved one at my side as we walk along a winding coastal path, breathing in the fresh, salty, Cornish air – perfect!

I hope that you like the look of the places I have mentioned too. Of course, I appreciate that there are many other beautiful places outside of Cornwall so do let me know where your favourite places are. Post your photos on Facebook or Twitter to share the love!

If you like this post, please share it with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment