Tuesday 19 July 2011

Behind the scenes at Celtic Sheepskin - by Caitlin Merrin (Year 10 student on Work Experience)


Never did I think I would have the opportunity to witness what goes on behind the scenes of such a thriving fashion company as Celtic Sheepskin, but last week I was lucky enough to have the chance!

I've always had an interest in the industry so when it came to finding a week-long placement for my work experience, I knew fashion was the direction I wanted to go in.

When I took my first step into the offices at Celtic Sheepskin last Monday, in all honesty I didn't really know much about the company and how the products are produced. I just thought that maybe some of the processes such as sewing and packing were carried out on site; in actual fact, I couldn't have imagined the scale of production that goes on here! All the sheepskin boots, slippers and flip-flops are made in the factory on Treloggan Industrial Estate, Newquay. Each pair goes through a rigorous process to make sure that it meets the high standards expected by their customers. This process includes cutting, sewing, gluing and, most importantly, checking the product thoroughly for any imperfections before it reaches the shelves.

The majority of Celtic Sheepskin's products are made in Great Britain. Keeping production in this country means that Celtic can retain control of the quality and excellent finish of their products that we know them for - this is what they pride themselves on. The company also works in a sustainable way; minimising waste where possible; for example all their sheepskins are a by-product of the meat industry and using organic fibres in their products results in less damage to the environment.

I am so thankful to everyone at Celtic who took the time to take me on and show me the ropes in such a diverse industry! The media sometimes portrays the fashion world as cruel and spiteful, but that certainly isn't the case here. If anyone has any interest in fashion and is looking for ideas for work experience, I would definitely recommend Celtic Sheepskin. I was given a valuable insight into what actually goes on and I can't thank everyone enough :-)

Here are some photos which I collated during the week…


-Thank you Caitlin. It was lovely to have you on board for the week and we are glad that you learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment