Tuesday 21 February 2012

Pancake Day madness!

While I am very much looking forward to this summer’s celebrations as we commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and of course the London 2012 Olympic Games, looking at my diary earlier I felt slightly despondent at the thought that there isn’t a notable diary date to look forward to until Easter which is quite late this year, being in April. It could be said that I felt a little flat, perhaps even as flat as a pancake but luckily not for long as I quickly remembered that today is Shrove Tuesday, otherwise known as Pancake Day (see what I did there?)!

Of course, traditionally the day before the start of Lent is spent eating lots of pancakes to use up the main fatty and tempting ingredients in the larder before fasting for the period leading up to Easter Sunday (47 days this year). Nowadays, however, rather than giving up the staples of many a western diet (sugar, eggs, flour and milk) or indeed fasting completely, it is more common for people to give up other favourite vices such as chocolate or alcohol.

OK, so I’ve probably not told you anything you don’t already know, and I’m sure you have plenty of other ideas as to what you’d prefer to give up for lent, but I bet you didn’t you know that on Pancake Day each year our neighbouring town of St. Columb Major battens down the hatches ready for the ancient Cornish game of hurling? No? I learnt this only recently too, and will leave you to read the details for yourself if you’re curious by following this link. For me, the best bit of this game it that it has no rules and no referee, which in a way links it quite well to Shrove Tuesday, seemingly the only day of the year that we choose to eat pancakes (why?!) and the myriad ideas for topping your pancakes (sweet, savoury, both?) as well as the options open to us all for giving up something for lent.

So with this hotchpotch theme that’s drawing out of today’s blog post, how about I madly mix it up with images from our recent photo shoots; no referee and no rules, just our models having a bit of fun…
Perhaps random 'out-take' photos may not be your idea of a sensible blog post, but why should everything be regimented? Come on, it’s Pancake Day - the day inspires frivolity!

Even models get the giggles (although they still manage to look gorgeous while laughing – talented or what!). They say that smiling and laughing is infectious so I hope they make you smile today too. All of the featured products are available in our current Spring catalogue which you can view here.

Onto our finale now, so to finish off my clearly crazy blog post I have searched the internet for a few pancake day puns but, alas, they were really quite terrible, so much so that I should probably keep them to myself…so all that remains for me to say is that I hope your Shrove Tuesday pans out well and that you have a flipping good time. Personally, it’s always a toss-up for me between lemon & sugar or maple syrup so best crack on and make at least two of each. Groan! Sorry, terrible yolks :) *hangs head in shame*.

Why not share your pancake pictures with us via Facebook or Twitter – we would love to see your favourite toppings! 

If you like this post, please share it with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment