Tuesday 9 November 2010

Choosing your Christmas day outfit in this season’s Country Cool look


I had kept this Saturday clear to dedicate the whole day to the dreary task of spring cleaning, preparing my flat for the diarised gatherings that have now filled evry weekend in my diary from now until the 2nd week of January. Goodness only knows what I’ll look like at the end of it all! So popping out to meet my mum for coffee was an added bonus; a one-hour reprieve treat I allowed myself when the invitation text pinged onto my phone that morning. That was until I began feasting on not coffee, but all the gorgeous outfits my mum suggested would be “perfect for Christmas Day”. And that was it, I was hooked. For the rest of the weekend since, the idea of “what should I wear” has been haunting my idle thoughts. After spending a couple of hours trying on a few pieces that morning, I resolved myself to the thought that I’ll choose something on Monday at work instead. The cleaning had to be completed!

So I thought I’d bring you all into my quandary, and hopefully solve your Christmas day dress strategy as well as mine. My mind has moved with the idea that I’d like to keep it fashionable, but comfortable. As much as I intend to make a special effort on Christmas day, I won’t want to spend long putting it all together that morning. And ever since I bought a flat cap at the market stall, my thoughts have been set on the country trend, which is ever gaining pace this winter.

So yesterday morning I turned on my computer and swatted up on the style pieces we’ve been recommended by anyone who knows anything about fashion on what to wear this winter. And with the excellent help of Net A Porter, I sat back and watched a short video. Put your feet up and enjoy… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3N0q5VDBx8

So let’s start with knitwear. Remembering the “clever layering” tip, below I’ve put together our cashmere dress with a fine knit polo. It’s not quite the silk shirt as seen on the catwalk, but with the cashmere and fine merino I think this outfit achieves decadence whilst still remaining very wearable around the dining room table, and more importantly the comfy couch. Of course, adding that flash of colour in the way of those bold Over The Knee Socks may not be the country look that the designers went for, but it’s Christmas after all and bold colours are fun! Pulling my waist in with an obi belt, and warming my feet with a pair of sheepskin boots gives those finishing touches that every outfit deserves.



For my next outfit I drew my inspiration from the cable knits featured in the short film - didn’t that model look cosy! Of course Celtic Sheepskin have boundless amounts of cable knits, but for this casual ensemble I felt it was necessary to layer with a lighter weight top, as invariably throughout the day there will be moments of shivers and over heating from the time you wake up in the frosty cool December morning, to trying to escape the kitchen for all the warmth it’s giving out. Teamed with a pair of thick woolly socks and pretty sheepskin boots, my trendy/cosy outfit is near complete. And so I pulled it all together with a pair of Donna Karan’s jodhpurs, which I have completely fallen in love with, although at £500, they’re filed away in my dream-only box!

The alternative to the above is the recommended Fairisle knits, which again at Celtic we’ve got plenty to choose from. My favourite is the Fairisle Hoodie because it looks so snuggly and will definitely seek out praise when family pop round for their Christmas day moment. Enlisting the help of Net A Porter once more, I’ve styled this with a Proenza Schouler wool pleated skirt as the film suggested that “different layers of texture and colour add personality”, so I thought I’d try it, and I am quite impressed with the results! Putting the Farisle Socks could be an added extra that is either used or not, but in this case I think it pulls the whole outfit together and will peep out beautifully above the Shortie Boot. I think this collection may well go to the top of my buy list; that is if I could afford £715 on a skirt! Perhaps I’ll just see what’s already in my wardrobe as a substitute for the skirt…
So next to outwear for that obligatory post-Christmas dinner walk. Two coats spring to my mind for this after watching the Net A Porter clip, the first being the very much talked about Aviator Jacket, and for Celtic Sheepskin our latest salute to this trend comes in the stunning form of our Belted Aviator Jacket. Now there’s something worth saving for! I might be tempted to say that you can team it with whatever you want and you’ll look stunning, as I’m sure that is the case, but something so beautiful deserves a little forward thought. So I’ve opted for a pair of our Turn Down Sheepskin Boots and Sheepskin Gloves, to keep the uber-warm theme going. Then by adding a pretty cashmere beret you get that girly edge that is completely necessary to pull off this seasons trend piece.


Not planning to save the best idea ‘til last, I do rather like my final take on the Country Cool trend. After all, countryside chic wouldn’t be anywhere without the obligatory waxed coat. And, guess what, we’ve got plenty of those at Celtic Sheepskin too! Immediately the traditional green version springs to mind, but I rather fancy the more feminine shade of a Werthers Original toffee, or in the case of our Hazlewood Jacket, tan. Fully lined with cotton and sporting elbow patches and a corduroy lined collar, it’s absolutely perfect for Christmas Day. Below I’ve put it with our equally handsome Denver Hat that’s not intended for the light hearted and a pair of our cosy Sheepskin Lined Walking boots and woolly socks for that graceful winter walker look.


So I hope I have helped you in some way to decide what you may wear this Christmas Day. For me, I think I need just a little more time to deliberate, as there’s so many beautiful things to choose from! Perhaps I’ll investigate the Wide Rib Jumper Dress a little more closely...
PS. If you want to see the products featured above, just click on the image and it will take you through to Celtic Sheepskin's website highlighting those particular products

No comments:

Post a Comment