Tuesday 22 February 2011

Mark Fast. Designer.

Last night I had a thrilling change to my usual Monday, after receiving an invitation to view Mark Fasts Autumn Winter 2011 collection at Somerset House, London. Squeezing my usual eight-hour working day into six was tough, and I was only relaxed when I knew my plane had taken off with no delays. I was on a tight schedule; arrive at Gatwick at 16.05 for 18.00 show. Thanks to the speed of London’s public transport, I made it with half an hour spare –just enough time to meet one of Mark’s design assistants, Joe Richards.

Sitting politely on my designated spot on the bench was a press release to describe the collection I was about to see “Mark Fast Autumn/Winter collection is about a “wolf in sheep’s clothing”. This is Mark’s sixth season and will be his second stand alone show at London Fashion Week”. And then I found the wording that links Celtic Sheepskin and Mark Fast…”Mark Fast has selected to knit with Merino wool as a natural fibre choice for 2011”. And I wasn’t disappointed with the knitwear.

So after the crowd eventually sat in their seats, the show began only 20 minutes late. Well, it’s fashionable after all! Sadly I’m not a professional photographer, and despite bringing my best camera I wasn’t able to snap the gorgeous array of knitwear and leather that Mark displayed.

Although in the picture above I was successful in shooting Hilary Alexandra, Fashion Director for the Telegraph looking on and taking notes of the collection before her. That’s her in the big hat!

So I’ll grab a few images from Vogue.com who I knew wouldn’t let me down. You can of course view the whole collection for yourself by visiting vogue here.

Mark designed his range based on three colours: white, soft grey & ox-blood red. Opening the show with his white knitwear, I could help but fall in love with the woolly leggings on the second model in and then be overcome with lust at the dress that soon followed…


Isn’t it clever what you can do with Merino Wool! According to the press release, Mark grew up on the outskirts of Winnipeg, Canada, next to a forest. As Celtic Sheepskin is also based in an area of outstanding natural beauty, I can see why we both opt for natural fibres.

And equally I was pleased to see that amongst all the wool and leather, a little sheepskin still remains for autumn winter 2011. What a hat!


Seeing Hilary Alexandra in a big sheepskin hat too, I can’t help but feel this is a trend that is going to take off once the sunshine disappears once more. Looks like we’re going to have to make sure we’re well stocked with our Diane Hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment